Monday, August 07, 2006

So here's the thing....

How do we make the gay world a better place?

I don't do the alcohol thing for obvious reasons, and so that leaves me out of a HUGE chunk of what gay men do.

The Majority of my gay interactions now take place through a site called Just Us Boys. While they go to great lengths to make a safe haven for gays of all types to exchange ideas and forge real bonds of friendship, and are miles above all the gay on-line hook up sites, they are just one lone voice in the wilderness.

I have really enjoyed delving into the gay blogosphere, and I wonder...Why aren't the large chunk of non bar going and non casual sex type gays so limited in such an unlimited media?

If you guys have any ideas please post them in comments to this blog entry...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the few who thinks that gays have had diverse treatment from media.

The character WILL from Will & Grace was often criticized for not having an active sex life, but Queer as Folk represented the drug - alcoholic - constant sex scene & received even more complaints. I think both are realistic but are not meant to represent the community as a whole.

Anonymous said...

The stereotypical characteristics attributed to the gay community have, to some extent, been accepted by it. The younger kids, not involved in the community, see this and believe thats how they would need to be if they are to be accepted.

AndreusThanos said...

how in the worlds do we as muslims find ourt place ina society dominated by alcohol and drugs?

i have a hard time figuring it out

Anonymous said...

You should always have hope, but I really don't see that changing any time soon. The drugs and alcohol are still a big part of the gay world. But as muslim, you face temptations almost daily. If you can go through your days without caving in, and if being a part of the gay community is important to you, you can still join in, and just stay true to yourself, and reject the certain parts of the lifestyle that you don't agree with.

AndreusThanos said...

yeah

it is easy to believe that i am missing out and i have to remind myself that I am actually making choices that i really do prefer to make

I am not afraid to be myself so I have no doubt i will adjust

i wish that there were like... maybe gay coffee houses for guys to go and hang out without the whole alcohol issue looming so big.